Sunday, April 3, 2016

I counted my chickens before they hatched.

So, I learned this week that PS23 Hadassah (the horned ewe I had planned on bringing up from Texas) was killed by a predator. While this is definitely a loss to our breeding program, simply because we are no longer able to use her, it's also a bummer because I offered certain ewes for sale that I had not thought of selling prior to making plans for Hadassah to come north, one of those ewes which is now deceased (another story- It's been a rough couple of weeks). In the bigger picture, this is also a loss to the breed in North America. While there is a decent chunk of the population carrying the p' gene, I am not aware of a whole lot of sheep that are homozygous p'. Hadassah was one of the few that I know of. With Bridget now 9 years old (not many years left for breeding, if any), the heat is on, persay. Time will tell if we retire her this year or use her again this fall. While conservation is a top priority here at our farm, it is second to animal welfare. I'm going to have much to ponder over in preparation for fall.

1 comment :

  1. Tough blows to your goals. I'm sorry to read this.

    ReplyDelete